Pages

Sunday, June 15, 2014

Life in the Postage Stamp

Until very recently, I have hated gardening. In fact, I would have chosen to clean almost anything in the house before I would spend a half hour weeding. I hate bugs (and worms), I hate weeds, I hate sitting hunched over dirt and sweating. However, this year I really wanted to do a small (hence the name postage stamp) garden so that I can make homemade salsa. We will see if I have the time and energy to actually follow through with that, but at least I have a garden now!
 
 
It is really small and yet only one third of the space is taken! I have four tomato plants and two pepper plants. Well, I guess I only have one pepper plant now because something ate the top of my plant and now it is dying.
 
I am surprised by how much I really enjoy my little garden. Weeding does not take long and I love taking my little watering can back there. It is satisfying to come home from a tiring day at work and walk back to check on the progress of each plant.
 
 
Perhaps part of the reason that I enjoy the time spent caring for my plants is because I am alone with my thoughts. It is usually quiet, sunny, and just generally cheery in that miniscule corner of earth. On a deeper level, it reminds me of God's love for me. He cares for the birds, the flowers, and the animals, but even more so, he cares for me. Not only does He care, but He is the Master Gardener. If I allow Him to, He tends to me as I tend for my garden. As I pick out the invading weeds, God shows me where the sin is invading my life and plucks it out. As I pour water onto each plant and ensure that they are all nourished, God provides His Word and His Spirit to nourish and uplift me.
 
This garden is also full of expectation. I expect that one day, perhaps not far in the future, I will walk out to my garden and find a little green tomato on a plant. Then I expect that tomato to mature to the point that it can be harvested and eaten. God expects fruit from me as well. As I grow in His garden, He gives me the tools to grow fruit in my life, such as love for others, patience in trials, and many more. He expects that it will begin to grow, then ripen to maturity so that it can be harvested for His glory.
 
I also like thinking about my little postage stamp as my own little corner of the world. No one can really see my garden unless they walk all the way to the back of the yard. It seems invisible to others, yet to me it is important. Sometimes my life feels like this as well. It seems so small and insignificant in the whole scheme of things, yet God can use my little postage stamp existence to create beauty, peace, and fruit that can be passed on to others.
 
 
Life in my postage stamp is going well. Sometimes weeds invade. Sometimes it is in need of an extra watering. Sometimes it just gets a little messy. But that's life. I hope that in my life, as in my garden, fruit will continue to come forth and be a blessing to others.
 
"And if God cares so wonderfully for flowers that are here today and gone tomorrow, won't he more surely care for you?"
Matthew 6:30 NLT
 


1 comment: