Pages

Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Aww Shucks!!

Yeah, yeah...that jokes a bit corny, but it just seemed to fit my day. One day each summer, my immediate family and my Lehman cousins all get together and put corn up for the freezer. It is an all day long ordeal that is a well loved tradition. We are all glad that it is only one day a year though! At this point I don't want to see another ear of corn for...oh about a year I guess! :)

The mothers of the family always start the day by going and picking the corn. We are so thankful to members of our church who supply all of it! Then they bring the truckload (yes, a literal pick-up truck load!) back and we start husking...and husking...and husking some more.

 
 
 
My cousin is here visiting from Oregon. It was nice having an extra set of hands and she enjoyed getting some fresh Indiana corn!
 
 
After we got some of the husking done, we (meaning a mom of course!) started the cooking process. After that we moved the corn into a series of coolers to chill. Cutting started when we had a nice pile of chilled corn. It is nice to have creamy frozen corn all winter. None of that rubbery canned corn for us!!
 
 
The never ending pile of corn

 
Still more to go!

 
The best part about corn day would have to be eating the halfway cooled corn from the coolers...

 

Yum!

 
Danny hauling away the husks with the tractor

 
Switching corn into the next cooler

 
Miss Edie Aline
 
 
Unloading corn from the cooker for lunch

 
For lunch we enjoyed burgers, corn, and fresh fruit. Isaac was sure glad for the burger!!
 
 
I can't tell you how many times Mom forgot to turn the hose off and overflowed the coolers. It got a little hectic in the garage!

 
It is no longer corn on the cob!

 
The group gathered around the cutting table
 
 
After a hot and tiring day of corn, we finished up with a nice refreshing swim. Corn day is always something to look forward to when summer comes around, but it is always nice to be done at the end of the day. We should all sleep well tonight!!
 
Soon we will be putting up blueberries as well. Between corn and blueberries, our freezer will be stocked to bursting! Come on by for a delicious meal with a side of creamy corn, or a smoothie made with fresh frozen blueberries!! What is something your family always puts in the freezer?
 
Until next time, which will hopefully be a post about Boundary Waters, Blessings!!
 
 

4 comments:

  1. Aww. I miss this. But I'll be coming home to visit next week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Leah! I'm here...checking out your blog. Everything looks good and I really enjoy reading your posts! I love the part in your profile about that says, "My family is like fudge; mostly sweet with a few nuts." HILARIOUS! I'm gonna have to share that one with my family. : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. aww thanks!! it is something that I enjoy doing, and it really ensures that I get good pictures of everyone!

      Delete